The National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), based in Des Plaines, Ill and the CT chapter of NARI, Remodeling Contractors Association, offers tips for homeowners affected by snow and ice damage. Consumers must avoid doing business with unregistered contractors or contractors that are not certified by the EPA.
As of April 22, 2010, federal law requires that:
- Renovation firms must be certified under EPA’s Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule
- Individuals must be trained in lead-safe work practices
- Training providers must be accredited by EPA.
- Get the name and address of the company that person allegedly represents.
- Get all details of the offer in writing and carefully review it. Be sure you understand everything in the contract and that any verbal promises made are included in the contract.
- Determine how long the company has been in business and call organizations with which the contractor is affiliated, such as NARI or other trade associations, to determine the firm’s legitimacy.
- Ask for references and contact each one.
- Remember that any legitimate company that wants your business will be more than willing to allow you the time to do your homework. Don’t fall prey to high-pressure tactics such as "this is the only chance you have" or "by tomorrow the extra materials will be gone."
- Come to your door unsolicited.
- Use high-pressure sales tactics.
- Request full payment before completing the work.
- Give a post office box without a street address or phone number.
- Promise to begin and complete the work more quickly and cheaply than any other company.
- Say they just finished work on your neighbor’s house and have just enough materials to do repair work on yours. They might say they can give you a better bargain if you let them do the work today since they have the supplies now.
Titus Built, LLC has provided residential design and build remodeling services in Fairfield County, Connecticut since 1995. The company provides a unique customer experience by delivering the convenience of truly integrated, step-by-step design and building services. Titus Built has developed a loyal following in the Fairfield County area with its focus on the highest quality craftsmanship, a systematic project process, and dedicated attention to customer care.
Tags: Connecticut, Darien, EPA's Renovation, Fairfield County, Greenwich, Home Maintenance, NARI, New Canaan, RCA, Remodeling, Repair and Painting Rule, Ridgefield, Roof Repair, Weston, Westport, Wilton